Friday, September 17, 2010

Simple and Easy Beef Stew

I love comfort foods, but then who doesn't!! But I am not one to spend all day in the kitchen... so here is my quick and easy beef stew for those chilly and cold days ahead. I use a large electric skillet for this..
2 pounds cut up beef stew cubes..try to get them without much fat or trim most of the fat off
Flour..enough to dredge the beef cubes with
salt, pepper, garlic powder to your taste preference
Mix spices into flour and dredge the cubes in the flour mixture
Put about 1/2 inch of a good cooking oil in skillet, I use canola oil, heat until hot but not smoking hot
Brown the beef on all sides to seal in juices, try to do this rather quickly
Drain excess oil from skillet

Put beef back in the skillet
1 large can tomates, I like the seasoned ones with onion and garlic myself
1 package baby carrots
4-5 medium size peeled and cubed potatoes
1 package beef stew seasoning mix..if you can get low sodium I recommend that as these can be very salty
1 large diced onion..if you do not like onions just leave them out.
You can add other veggies you might like in stew too..like celery or turnips, etc.
Simmer on a low temp for 2-3 hours or until veggies are tender and meat is tender, stirring occasionally to make sure it does not stick or burn.
As I said I use an electric skillet but a cook cast iron skillet or dutch oven can not be beat for this stew.
Actually this is even better the next day!
Serve with a good crusty hot bread  or even in bread bowls! Yummy in the tummy!! Warms ya right up!

No comments:

Post a Comment